Thursday, July 3, 2008

bulletproof cable company


Becky and I have been spending a lot of time watching TV and movies lately as we wait for Baby Bean's arrival. Our cable box freaked out again today for the second time in a week so I called to get some technical assistance. They were able to diagnose the problem remotely and determine that the problem was our equipment. We had the option to either wait for a service call next week or take the box in ourselves this afternoon. It turned out the office was just around the corner so we decided to take the box in ourselves. This is where things got kind of weird...

We walked into a lobby with a small crowded office behind glass. It looked like there were two bank tellers with a group of co-workers standing behind them. As we stepped forward we noticed that there were actually only two people working. Behind them were life sized cut outs of TV personalities. Kind of the weird. The two girls behind the glass we ready for the holiday weekend, decked out in red, white and blue from head to toe.

We stepped up to the counter and realized that the tellers were behind bullet proof glass. I am not kidding, 2 inch think bullet proof glass!!! We had to place our old cable box in a bulletproof glass box with a hinged door to pass it to the teller. I had the door cracked open a bit--she actually asked me to close it all the way before she opened it on the other side. I have never seen this much security in any bank I have ever been in. Becky noticed on the door behind us the height markings on the door that gives someone a quick gauge of the height of someone fleeing the business. I thought of making some jokes, but it occurred to me that this kind of security had to be based on something that had happened there in the past.

I could imagine the scenario. A masked man walks in wielding a universal remote control. "Alright, everyone down--I want free cable. I have a remote and I am not afraid to use it!!! Give me HBO and one of those sports packages and no one gets hurt!"

Ah, I wish I was making this stuff up!

No comments: