For a few years now, I have played a name game with my students on the first day of school. This games serves as an ice breaker and it allows me to learn the students' names quickly. Anyway, in the game you say your full name and then tell as much as you know about it. Lastly, you tell the group what you would like to be called. When the speaker is done the the group chants the name three times in unison. This chanting serves to lock the name into my memory and freak out the student being chanted at.
Below is an example. The story of my name.
"I am Jason Daniel Hedden. Like every 3rd American male born in the second half of the 1970s my given first name was Jason. I had to be Jason H. until 3rd grade because there were always a few Jasons in the class. My Dad took the name from the Greek Hero. Jason and the Argonauts. Clash of the Titans anyone? I think he also gave his wife Medea some grief and stole some golden fleece. Jason not my Dad. My middle name comes from my Grandfather Daniel. I never met him, but I have a great picture of my Dad standing next to him after Dad's first fishing trip. Hedden. What can say? I think it used to be spelled Headen--which would prevent the mispronunciation of "Heeden" I am German on my Mom's side Eisenhardt. Actually Jewish German I recently found out. I am looking into the origin of Hedden. Anyway, you can call me Jason."
Actually, the high school students call me Mr. Hedden. A few call me J-Head. Don't ask.
So, tell us the story of your name-- as much or as little as you want. I heard some great names today from my Aunt Etta who was helping me with some ancestry research. More on that later.
1 comment:
Too Funny!
I bet they call you something else behind your back!! :)
Post a Comment